Free Consultation by Phone


Relocations and Modifications


Parenting time modification

A parent’s geographical location is important to any child custody decision. If one parent moves to move to another city or state, he or she may need to secure a modification of the custody agreement. Likewise, a modification may be necessary if your financial status — or your ex-spouse’s financial situation — changes significantly, such as due to unemployment or a job promotion.

As your attorney, Michael can help you acquire a child custody modification or modification of spousal maintenance based on your changing circumstances. He can also represent you in an enforcement action if the other side fails to comply with the requirements of your support arrangement.

Moving away? Preserve your child custody rights

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for one or both parents to move away to get a fresh start. When such changes happen after a child custody judgment, it is necessary to change the terms through a custody modification.

Courts intend for children to have close relationships with both parents. However, if one parent moves far away, the move complicates child parenting time arrangements. Michael can assist you in petitioning a court for a parenting time modification requiring: money to pay your child’s travel expenses; longer visits with your child; scheduled telephone calls; and scheduled video sessions using Skype.

Michael can help change your parenting time not only if you move, but also if your ex-spouse moves and wants to take the child with him or her.

Spousal support modification

Spousal support is intended to meet the financial needs of the financially less-capable party in a divorce. Often, factors such as years spent raising children, continuing child care duties or lack of education or work experience due to marital responsibilities can affect whether or not one ex-spouse receives monthly payments from another.

When the financial circumstances of either ex-spouse change, a modification of terms may be in order. For instance, if the paying spouse loses a job or becomes permanently injured, he or she may not be required to pay as much spousal maintenance. Further, if the receiving spouse remarries; is no longer raising shared children; or improves his or her financial standing, it can affect the amount of spousal support that must be paid. If your or your ex-spouse’s economic or personal circumstances change significantly, Michael can work to modify your spousal maintenance obligations.